The universities host a number of key centres of excellence including:
- Human Nutrition Centre (Newcastle) – a multi-disciplinary cross-faculty research centre looking at the links between health and nutrition.
- Food Security Network (Liverpool) – providing multi-disciplinary research into areas such as supply and demand, market responses, and drivers of change.
- Sustainable Practices Research Group (Lancaster, Leeds, Manchester) – Practice-theory on food, energy and water consumption.
- School of Food Science and Nutrition (Leeds)
- Appetite Control & Energy Balance Research (Leeds)
- University of Leeds Centre for Decision Research
- University of Leeds Priestley Centre on Climate